Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Four U's Of God's Love

Have you ever heard of this statement: Four score and seven years ago; or how about this one: One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind? These two statements are very recognizable because they both signify something great, something remarkable and something very memorable, but we also know them because we’ve heard them many, many times in our lives, through many mediums, and in many formats. But you know, there is one that’s even more recognized than those famous quotes, and it comes from the Bible. It’s John 3:16.

Unfortunately, the phrase "God loves you" has become to a lot of people a meaningless saying. Many people say it, but few people believe it. Most of us have heard it so many times that we ignore the power of what it means. Many of us either don’t believe it, or don’t care.

I would like to take a few minutes to analize John 3:16 in depth, to determine the significance of God’s Love towards us.

“For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whoever believes in him will not perish but have everlasting life” NASB

First let me say that God’s Love is UNIMAGINABLE, the Greek word for “LOVED” here is AGAPE, it is the highest form of the word love found in the New Testament. Every mention of this type of love refers to God’s love towards man kind. We cannot imagine nor comprehend this type of Love. But by Faith we can believe in this one who offers that Love towards us.

20"I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me. Galations 2:20

Second, let me say God’s love is UNLIMITED, the Greek word for “World” is KOSMOS, This is a Universal term, meaning no one is left out. God’s love is not confined to a race, nationality, or denomination. He loves everyone, yes even the sinner. God loves the terrorist just as much as He loves the Saint praying on her knees. He loves the Rich as well as the poor. Don’t misunderstand me, I am not saying that all men are saved, all men are saints no matter what they believe, or that all actions are equal. I am saying that,

Romans 5:8 “God demonstrated His love for us in that while we were yet sinners He died for us.”

One day C. H. Spurgeon was walking through the English countryside with a friend. As they strolled along, the evangelist noticed a barn with a weather vane on its roof. At the top of the vane were these words: GOD IS LOVE. Spurgeon remarked to his companion that he thought this was a rather inappropriate place for such a message. "Weather vanes are changeable," he said, "but God’s love is constant.” "I don’t agree with you about those words, Charles," replied his friend. "You misunderstood the meaning. That sign is indicating a truth: Regardless of which way the wind blows, God is love."

You cannot go where God does not love you. Where ever your life takes you, God still loves you. He may weep over your lostness as He did over Jerusalem but His love remains. The Apostle John cries out in his epistle,

“How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God!”

Third, God love is UNCONDITIONAL, the Greek word for "Gave" is DIDOMI, which means lavished on, to give freely as a gift no strings attached. Our love always seems to be conditional. Our love seems like there is always strings attached. If you make me angry I won’t love you anymore.

I would climb the highest mountain. Swim the deepest ocean. I would crawl the hottest desert. I’d do anything for you. I would leap the tallest building. I’d bear any trial or pain. There’s no limit to my love. And I’ll be over Friday night If it don’t rain.

God’s love is unconditional! There is nothing we can do that can separate us from the love of God.

The apostle Paul wrote in Romans 8:38-39,
“I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, 39nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

Jesus looked down at the men who had just beat Him and nailed spikes through His hands and feet and said “I love you” well literally He said “Father forgive them” but I think you get the picture. For God so loved the world… All of us at times look towards heaven and ask “Daddy, do you love me?” While we know in our hearts that it’s a foolish question – our hearts yearn to hear the answer. Do you love me? From heaven comes the resounding response – “Yes, my dearest child I love You. I love you more than you can imagine. I love you more purely than you can comprehend. More deeply than your heart can conceive and for as long as eternity remains.

Jeremiah 31 says,
3 The Lord appeared to us in the past, saying: "I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness.

Finally God’s love is UNOPENED, “That whoever believes in him shall not perish but have everlasting life”

The word used here in the scripture “believes” is the Greek word PISTEUO to have faith (in, upon, or with respect to, a person or thing. The word “everlasting” is the Greek word aionios (ahee-o'-nee-os); perpetual no passing of time.

There is a gift that God’s offers you that maybe you have approached many times but never truly opened it. Never truly un-wrapped it to see what is revealed inside.

Romans 6:23 states this,

23For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

God offers you a free gift. A gift not to just be taken and them placed on a shelf or in a building, but a gift that requires you to open it to receive the greatest blessing in life… Eternal Life!

Pastor Eric
Ewj2008

1 comment:

Tracy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.